Presidential Innovation Grants
As part of the BOW Three College Collaboration, the college presidents have established the Presidential Innovation Project Fund. This fund is available to the Babson, Olin, and Wellesley communities for projects that will enhance the BOW Three College Collaboration and the overall student educational experience.
The Presidential Innovation Grants offer an opportunity for members of the BOW Three College Collaboration – faculty, staff, and students – to submit project proposals related to the enhancement of the collaboration. The number of projects funded and the amount of the awards will vary from year to year based on project merit and available budget.
Proposals are evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Participation from at least two of the colleges. Participation from all three is preferable.
- Participant roles are clearly articulated.
- An appropriately detailed budget of expenses and justification for each item as detailed below.
- Positive impact on the BOW Three College Collaboration.
- Plan for evaluation and sharing of final project outcome with the BOW community.
- Awards are typically between $500 and $3,500 but, in exceptional cases, larger awards will be considered.
- Payments of wages or stipeneds to students are not allowed.
- Honoraria for external speakers are permitted within the overall budget.
- Well-justified requests for supplemental funding during the project period will be considered and may be granted unter exceptional circumstances.
Fall 2018 Presidential Innovation Grant Recipients
BOW Women’s Club Ice Hockey Team
A BOW Women’s Club Ice Hockey program team will be established for women at all three colleges. This will allow women from all three schools to gather in an athletic environment that will foster teamwork and promote the qualities of perseverance, responsibility, physical endurance, and commitment.The club will focus on both an introductory component and a competitive program, while fostering a connection between women at all three schools.
Team Leader: Rick Burr, Director of Athletic Performance, Babson College
Refinement & Integration of Making and Fabrication across BOW (Part I)
This project will develop a visual, annotated representation of the tools available in the Babson Foundry, the Olin Shop, and the Wellesley We-Lab & Knapp Center with consistent identity and style across the three campuses. This project will hopefully be the starting point of a deeper collaboration across the 3 campuses to align training and safety protocols.
Team Leader: Amy Banzaert, Director of Engineering Studies, Lecturer in Engineering, Weissman Foundry Faculty Fellow, Wellesley College
Babson College and Wellesley College Counseling and Wellness Staff will collaborate to enhance and streamline the referral process for students seeking mental health care from community providers for psychotherapy and psychiatry. Counseling center staff at Babson and Wellesley will use ThrivingCampus to pool efforts to engage more mental health clinicians in the community and bridge the gap described between our students and off-campus resources. Olin College students will also be able to access the shared directory in effort to streamline the off-campus referral program.
Team Leader: Sandra Acevedo, LICSW, Student Care Coordinator, Wellesley College